Café scene in the market square (Place Charles de Gaulle)

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Ribérac, centre of the known (cyber) world

I am not sure of the official statistics but I do remember reading a short time ago that Ribérac has a population of just over 4,000 souls.  Why I find this figure fascinating is that it supports six hairdressers plus an all male barbers shop, five bakeries, four banks, three pharmacists, three opticians and even two dog parlours for that essential "le  shapmpoing, le cutting, le brushing" to keep la petite Phoebe sweet .  I suppose this can't be bad and certainly compared to a lot of French towns of equivalent size I have driven through, a certain air of optimism and renewal always seems to be present.  I say this despite knowing what a grey Monday morning can look and feel like in town.  So in today's almost spring-like weather I was further encouraged by the discovery of a shop named 'Micro boutique'.  

 

Get connected here...
 
Now this is rather handy for people like myself who are not necessarily internet savvy although I do get by.  But today, when I found myself with a particular thorny problem set around general maintenance of one of our websites, it was extremely handy to wander down the road and within quarter of an hour have my problem resolved by the attentive young patron.  He informed me that he cut his linguistic (his English is fluent) and techno teeth after working for ten years in the computer industry in London.  

Ribérac can now boast two computer businesses which can repair your computer and aid you with your PC related problems.  At Monsieur Cybercoco's place you can enjoy a coffee or soft drink whilst surfing or playing one of the many games on offer.

 

or here...

In all there is (including the aforementioned) a total of four places where you can happily log on.  One of these is our local library 


 or even here

and another is the Telephone Store in the Place Général de Gaulle. where you can also receive advice on any mobile phone problems you might have. 


One of our local cafés, La Gavotte, next door to The Telephone Store, offers WiFi so you can  roll up with your laptop or iPad and tap away  to your heart's content whilst sipping your morning coffee. Ribérac is truly the centre of the known (cyber) world.

No comments:

Post a Comment