Café scene in the market square (Place Charles de Gaulle)

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer time is officially here so it's on with the soup pan

We are now two days into summer so naturally enough the sun has been in and out these last few days, probably in excess of 30 degrees, followed by dark sombre clouds that have come scudding across the sky from the direction of Bordeaux and then topped off by a cool wind that has one reaching for your 'pullie'.  Sounds like the UK?  No it's the deepest Dordogne in this strange year of 2011 and that's before we start to mention all things Greek and a European Union going belly up.

 

Great with a head of garlic

Well, the pressures of summertime work have definitely been upon us.  Swimming pools to vacuum and skim, Gite changeovers with enough laundry to make the Chinese head for cover, breakfasts to serve in the B&B and a few table d'hotes to boot, have kept me away from my blog so to ease my way back in to Bloggerland, and certainly enhanced by this uncertain weather, today I decided to cook a garlic and mushroom soup with parsley.  Maybe it's the uncertain times we all live in that moved me to such a thing as we slid past the longest day but for whatever reason I thought it was high time to dig out my New Convent Garden Soup Company's Book of Soups cookery book to seek solace in a hearty country style type of recipe.

 

The perfect cookbook for the summer kitchen!

When we can, Lesley and I patronise the mushroom stall of Mme Forestier who comes to Riberac's Friday market come rain or shine.  I have blogged about her previously and if you happen to arrive at her stall anytime later than 11.00 on a Friday morning I fear you may be disappointed as she is usually sold out by this time.  I mention Mme Forestier as it is her mushrooms that always lend their full flavour to this soup.

The recipe is basically made up of mushrooms, onion, garlic, vegetable stock,and any fresh parsley you can lay your hands on.  You can stir in a little single cream at the conclusion if you so wish.

The recipe calls for ONE garlic clove.  Now what can one do with one garlic clove?  Being in France where garlic naturally enough is in plentiful supply I add a whole head to my soup.  Not only does this give the soup a full bodied flavour, it also clears all your arteries, thins your blood and guarantees you hours on your own while you muse on your next recipe and what type of wine might be appropriate to accompany it.  I thoroughly recommend it!

 

Serve with plenty of baguette tradition

No comments:

Post a Comment