Café scene in the market square (Place Charles de Gaulle)

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The hornets overwinter

Walking down to the local supermarket I looked up into one of the many magnificent trees that line the route.  In one particularly large tree in somebody's front garden I noticed what looked like a hornets nest.   It was extremely large and formed in the shape of a tear drop.  I believe the way to tell the difference between the 'nid' (nest) of the European hornet and its Asian, much more aggressive cousin is by the shape of the nest.  Asian hornets tend to build theirs in a football shape and Europeans hornets, a tear drop shape.  Apparently in windy autumnal weather, similar to the kind we are experiencing at the moment, the whole lot can come crashing to the ground.  This could make the daily stroll to Netto a much more interesting experience. 


The hornets nest where the Queen resides toute seule over the winter

Naturally enough I get very nervous when I see these things dangling from on high.  It was only a few short months ago when I was attempting to enter a client's pool house that I came under attack.  Before rattling the door of the pool house, it is a bad fit and sticks a little, I failed to see the four, large yellow heads of the 'sentinel' hornets sitting atop the door studiously observing my approach.  At the very first grasp of the door handle they flew down like four Stuka dive bombers.  I didn't have a chance and ran at high speed to the only place I knew I would be safe.  Before I leapt into the swimming pool I took two shots to the back of the head and not having any hair to speak of I was pretty defenceless.  My head started to change shape as the stings took hold.  Luckily a very enterprising neighbour upon hearing my cries came to my rescue and eventually produced a vacuum type syringe that Lesley then applied to my head.  I was pleasantly relieved to see the stings appear in the syringe after much pumping.  I was informed that the said syringe was only a quid and available from your nearest pound shop.  Every Dordogne home should have one in my opinion.


Making the pool area safe

A visit from our frelon expert, Monsieur L, was now in order.  A short while later Monsieur L arrived and after pulling on his defensive suit he set about the unwanted guests with a chemical powder spray.  I had no problem accepting his advice to keep away from the area for the next 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment